City : Helpful Barracks : Armed Forces Community Covenant
The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead has a large forces population, with Windsor being the home of the Coldstream Guards and Household Cavalry.
There is great desire to seek ways in which the Armed Forces Community and wider community can be more mutually supportive and work together to the benefit of the whole community.
The Community Covenant
Many local people, whether part of the Armed Forces Community or not, are already supportive to each other through charity work, taking part in Armed Forces Day and by being good neighbours. Our newly pledged local Community Covenant is a statement that our communities can be mutually supportive - aiming to:
- further support towards our local Armed Forces community
- nurture better understanding of issues affecting the Armed Forces community
- recognise and remember the sacrifices faced by the Armed Forces Community
- encourage activities which help to integrate the Armed Forces Community into the local life of the Royal Borough
- encourage the local Armed Forces Community to help and support the wider community, such as through joining in with events and joint projects
A grant fund has been set up to support this commitment.
If you have a great idea for improving links between the army and the wider community, please submit an application by 1st November 2014. Projects can include ways of enhancing life skills, improving health or getting involved with the local community. More information can be found here
The first successful grant was awarded to Family Friends in Windsor and Maidenhead. This local charity has a long established relationship working with young parents in the army.